Inner Loop North Update

 It's been a little while since I've updated this blog. I've been busy, got a new job, and haven't been able to travel around as much, gathering on-site content. But stuff is happening, and I intend to cover some more of it again, especially as the temperature rises a little.

My last post was about the Inner Loop North project, and that project has seen some progress. Concept 6 was chosen as the preferred model of redevelopment after filling in the rest of the Inner Loop.


There are some notable differences between this and the older proposed version


Chief difference being that University Ave. connects with Cumberland in the newest version of the concept, this connection existed before the Inner Loop was installed, and this way frees up more space for development North of Cumberland.

I don't know if the plan is the "perfect plan" for the city but it looks pretty good. I have a small concern with the intersection on Central Ave, right after the bridge going east. I think some of the streets of Rochester downtown are kind of odd. There are a lot of irregular intersections. I don't know the best way to handle that, but closing some off to only bike and pedestrian traffic might be an option.

I'm a little confused by the connection between Central and Lyndhurst at North Street. They may have moved the intersection to move it away from the North/Hudson Fork, but I think there shouldn't be a straight connection from Central to Lindhurst, a more residential neighborhood. Hinge Neighbors put out an interesting concept for the connection, and I think it would work well.

The little parklet at Central Ave would serve as a barrier of sorts coming in that would deter disruptive thru-traffic. Even this, I don't love the amount of Low-Density Residential that this plan has for a neighborhood so close to downtown. The street plan is pretty good though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Ave Reconstruction

Attending a Local Meeting

An LVT for Rochester